I’ve been working on a few different things today to improve the game:
- Made the spellcast effect shorter in duration, because it seemed to be going on a bit too long, especially when casting trees.
- Stopped the yellow highlight cursor effect being drawn when the AI has it’s turn. This makes things look better when land based creatures with a few movement points are moving. Previously the yellow highlight square would be placed at the empty destination square, which could look a little odd.
- Added a dull grey highlight for spells which only affect other pieces (subversion, magic attacks, etc..) This is to help show the spell’s range, but is only applied to empty squares.
- Made the range of a spell be displayed in the spell’s description.
- When a wizard dies, his or her pieces now go through an exploding particle animation as well as disappearing.
- Added a 3rd highlighted cursor style (4 corner brackets, slightly thicker than the dotted border line cursor). This is now used to show owners of a piece, and so if you move over an enemy wizards creatures his pieces will be highlighted in red. Moving over your pieces will highlight them in green (or blue if they have moved), as well as showing the squares that creature can move to, attack or mount. Unlike previously where I tried using the dotted line highlight, the different designs help distinguish things. So, dotted border squares are where you can move to or cast onto. Thick solid border squares are where you can attack or ride (mount). Finally the new corner square border is to show a piece’s owner. Slightly more complicated, but I think it works well when you play with it for a while and is less confusing and more intuitive than other approaches.
- Pressing the right mouse button over a empty square will now highlight all pieces on the board by their respective owners colour. This is a very handy way to see who owns which pieces at a glance.
- Added support for magic missile spells with the ability to change the missile gfx (the default one is the white spell beam gfx), the casting effect (the default is the spellcasting effect), the amount of the effect, and also I’ve added an attack value to use against the creature. With this in place, I’ve implemented Magic Bolt and Lightning and these new options let us also do other spell combinations if desired.
All these changes help to improve the game and make it more easy to play too.. 🙂